A Brief History of Notre Dame School
Notre Dame School began in the basement of Notre Dame Church in September 1944. Sister Louise Omer and Sister Bernice Marie had 50 students from grades 1 – 8. To expand, more space was needed so two American army barracks were purchased and the school opened its doors the following September with 150 students. Many were boarders from nearby communities.
Each year the school population grew and by the late 1940’s, it included up to grade 12. The army barracks were becoming insufficient and a new school was built. August 1952 marked Notre Dame School’s official opening with 13 Sisters on staff and 258 students attending.
As the years passed and the city grew, more space was needed and closing of the boarding school became necessary in 1960. Bishop O’Grady sent lay people as “Frontier Apostles” to teach as the Sisters retired or left. In the Spring of 1968, Notre Dame School suffered a fire. The old army barracks were used again as the school until the current school was repaired and refurbished.
Sister Louise and Sister Bernice Marie would be proud of the continued legacy of Notre Dame School with values, faith, education and respect.